Do you have asthma or chemical sensitivity?
Are you thinking about buying the best air purifiers for VOCs, but having a hard time trying to figure out which one to get?
If so, you’ve landed on the right page.
When it comes to shopping for an air purifier for VOCs removal, you have a lot of options to choose from. However, below you’ll discover a shortlist of 6 top-selling air purifiers for VOC.
You’ll also find some important information about VOCs so that you can walk away with a complete understanding of how to protect your home and health.
So, dig into our comprehensive best VOC air purifier reviews.
VOC air purifiers are specially designed to eliminate harmful contaminants and volatile organic compounds from indoor air to decrease your exposure to potentially dangerous gas contaminants.
Best Air Purifiers for VOCs Quick Comparison
In a hurry? Here’s a glimpse of the 6 best air purifier for chemical sensitivity and VOCs you can get.
|AIRDOCTOR 4-in-1||8.5 x 16 x 23.5||900||0.003||4 stages|
|Hathaspace HSP-001||13.5 x 7 x 19.5||350||0.3||5 stages|
|Okaysou AirMax8L||12.9 x 7.1 x 19.4||500||0.25||5 stages|
|Dyson Pure Cool TP01||7.7 x 7.7 x 40.1||300||0.3||2 stages|
|Medify MA-40||10.5 x 11 x 26||840||0.3||3 stages|
|Brondell O2+ Source||13.2 x 7.8 x 24.5||300||0.3||3 stages|
Here are the Best VOC Air Purifiers – Which One to Get?
For buying air purifier for VOCs removal, you should look for reliable information about the features, performances, strengths and drawbacks of each product. If that is the information you’re searching for, we’ve researched and compiled all the details of the 6 top-selling VOC air purifiers that you need.
So, without wasting more time, let’s start exploring.
1. AIRDOCTOR 4-in-1 Air Purifier – Best Value
Coverage: 900 sq.ft./ 3 times per hour
AirDoctor purifier is an excellent device you can buy today. It features a 4-stage air filtering process. The advanced UltraHEPA filter makes the unit stand out among the competitors. People with severe allergy problems, asthma, and chemical sensitivity or anyone with large rooms to cover would benefit most from this air purifier
It has a nice modern design. The two-tone gray and white exterior helps it blend better with a wider range of room decor. It looks like a small device, but it actually handles a large amount of space, which is more than enough for most home applications, if not more.
AIRDOCTOR air purifier filters include:
- Pre-filter – traps the largest particles, like hair, dust, and dirt. It’s washable.
- UltraHEPA Filter – captures 99.95% as small as 0.003 microns size particles.
- Activated Carbon Filter – remove the harmful gas and VOC
- Ionizer – REMOVES ORDERS for the freshest -smelling air
Other top features are:
- Auto Sensor – to assess the air quality in the room and instantly adjust to the correct level of filtration.
- Air Quality Indicator– informs the current air quality displayed as a colored circle. [Red= poor, Orange= Moderate, Blue= Good]
- 4 Fan Speeds (Low, medium, high, and turbo)– let you run the device as you preferred
- Automatic Mode – monitors the air quality and adjusts itself automatically to combat pollutants.
- Filter Change indicator – lets you know when it’s time to change UltraHEPA and Activated Carbon filter
- Night Mode – Dims the control panel if you want the lights out while you’re sleeping.
- Sleep timer with automatic shut-off– lets you to automatically turn the device off after 1 to 24 hours of use.
- WHISPER-JET FAN – 30% quieter than any conventional large or small room air purifiers (Noise levels 39 to 59 dB)
- Large coverage
- Well-built and modern design
- Energy Star Certified
- Portable- easy to carry and store
- Quiet operation
- One-year limited warranty
- Expensive. But keep in mind that a powerful and large capacity filter doesn’t come cheap.
- No remote control and Wi-Fi smart controls.
- The high and turbo settings are considered loud.
This 4-in-1 Air Purifier is an “Air Doctor” indeed! It offers professional strength air purification. It not only keeps your indoor air fresh and healthy but also helps prevent health-related complications. Overall, it’s an excellent device for people with multiple chemical sensitivity.
2. Hathaspace HSP-001 – Top Rated VOC Removal Air Purifier
Coverage: 350 sq. ft. room up to 48 times per day
What makes Hathaspace HSP-001 the best air purifier you can buy is the simple fact that it includes a multi-stage 5-in-1 air filter system. It’s not only an air cleaner but also an odor eliminator.
This 5-in-1 Purification System is equipped with the following powerful filters:
- Nano Cold Catalyst Filter –removes dust, pet dander, and toxic household chemicals.
- Cellular Activated Carbon Filter – Absorb and remove odors, smoke, gases and volatile organic compounds of household products
- Antibacterial filter – Targets bacteria and germs
- True HEPA Filter –removes 99.97% of airborne pollutants as small as 0.3 microns
- Ionizer (Ozone-Safe) – Releases negative ions to neutralize the electrically charge air particles to trap them easily (You can turn it on/off).
This unit offers you the following features:
- Smart Sensor– detects and displays indoor air quality to let you stay informed all the time.
- AUTO Mode– adjust the fan speed automatically based on the indoor air environment.
- Remote Control– offers you the flexibility of controlling the device from remote.
- Whisper-Quiet Sleep Mode– ensures the quietest level (18dB) to give you the most restful sleep.
- Designed for convenience and efficiency
- Eliminate Allergens and Pollutants
- Controls Unwanted Odors
- Eliminates Smoke
- Easy to clean
- Meets the strictest safety standards
- 2-year warranty
- The air quality sensor only really works when the air is saturated with dirt and the fan is on its max setting.
- Initially, the user may experience a plastic smell.
- The light seems very bright at night.
Whether you’re suffering from asthma or allergies and looking for relief, or want just to breathe healthy, fresh air, Hathaspace HSP-001 is your purifier. Overall, to turn your home into an allergy-free zone, this hathaspace air purifier is an excellent option. It’s sensitive enough to filter the odor of your home. It’s well-made, quiet and looks fancy.
Did you know?
Indoor Air Can Be Up to 100 Times More Polluted than Outdoor Air
3. Okaysou AirMax8L Medical Grade Ultra-Duo – Best Budget VOC Removal Air Purifier
Coverage: 500 sq.ft./ 3 times per hour
If you’re looking for a versatile air purification system, then you shouldn’t miss this Okaysou AirMax8L air purifier. It’s a high-performing air purifier that acts both as an odor eliminator and air deodorizer.
The air purifier purifies air where you matter most- bedroom, living room, basement, kitchen, baby room, office and more. It purifies air 5X per hour in s room up to 320 sq. ft, 3X in 500 sq.ft. and 1.5X in 800 sq.ft.
The best aspect of this device is it directly takes in air from back to let the polluted air thoroughly contact the filters. Thus it utilizes every corner of filters to reduce waste and improve purification effect.
You can enjoy the completely natural air now! Thanks to the 3-Stage Ultra Filtration and 2-Stage Duo Filtration. This 5-stage air purification system features-
- HEPA filter
- Antibacterial filter
- Honeycomb activated carbon filter
- Cold catalyst filter
The 3-in-1 ULTRA-filter (True HEPA) efficiently traps up to 99.97% as small as 0.25 microns airborne particles. On the other hand, DUO-Filter safely removes VOCs, household odors, chemical vapors, and other pollutants,
All other features that meet your requirements–
- Advanced turbine motor with 45 vanes and larger air inlet area (14.17 x 9.52 inches)-work together to take in more air and effectively remove air pollutants
- 3 fan speed settings – to adjust the air intake and achieve your desired air quality.
- Latest Silenceboost Technology– purifies indoor air with the lowest noise level of 28dB to ensure you undisturbed rest.
- Child-lock– allows you to lock the control panel. It’s a useful feature for those who have pets and children in their houses.
- Sleep mode– put the fan at the lowest speed to run at the lowest noise level. It also turns off all the lights to create a better sleep environment.
- Filter replacement indicator – let you know when it may be the time to change filters
- 1/2/4/8 Hour Timer – enables you to customize the unit’s running time to meet your needs and save energy.
- Compact modern design– to fit in any room, any home.
- 5-year warranty plus lifetime US-based customer support – to decreases your worry to enjoy a happier clean air experience.
- Higher and faster Clean Air Delivery
- Super Easy to Install Filter
- Energy efficient
- Whisper-quiet operation
- Superior Safety – CE, FCC, ETL, and CARB certified
- 100% Ozone Free
- Reasonable price
- Some users complained that it emitted a bit of a plastic smell that disappears.
If you are on a tight budget yet would need an efficient air purifier to clear VOCs, pet Hair, Smoke, Dust, Pollen, don’t miss this Okaysou AirMax8L air purifier. It’s the perfect air purifier for any small to large rooms to eliminate more common pollutants to protect your family from asthma and allergy symptoms. It’s powerful enough to refresh your air in minutes using less energy. The beautiful exterior design makes it suitable for almost any décor. To summarize, AirMax8L is One Solution for All Your Air Environment.
4. Dyson Pure Cool TP01 – 2-in-1 air purifier (Air Purifier & Fan)
Coverage: 300 square feet of room space
Color: White/ Silver
Next, we have this exclusive product from Dyson. For people who don’t know Dyson has a reputation for manufacturing premium products. This brand is known for its efficient, distinctive-looking appliances. Dyson Pure Cool TP01 is no different.
The Dyson TP01 is the actual flagship model of the Dyson Pure Cool air purifier line. In fact, it combines two products in one unit- it’s a standard Dyson Tower fan with an added filter to purify the indoor air. This model is effective at removing pollutants from air around you for allergy and asthma sufferers. It removes stinky gas molecules and also circulates clean air.
Dyson uses two layers of filtration.
- 360 degree, vacuum-sealed glass HEPA filter – trap 99.97% of particulates to 0.3 microns in size. These include dust, pollen, spores, mold, pet dander and bacteria.
- A layer of activated carbon – capture household odors, harmful toxins, chemical contaminations and VOCs
Dyson pure cool TP01 top features:
- Air multiplier and oscillation technology – circulates over 77 gallons/ second of smooth, but powerful airflow to distribute the purified air throughout the room evenly
- 10 speed settings– to dial in exactly the right level of air movement.
- Setting 1 to 3 – in colder months circulates air around the room
- Setting 4 to 10 – generate smooth, long-range purified airflow if you need personal cooling and purified air throughout the room
- Tower fan with an added filter– to purify the indoor air.
- Sleep timer– let you set the function in 15-minute intervals, at which point the unit will turn off. It ranges from 15-minute to 9 hours.
- Slim and compact design– TP01 is tall but slim that has a 7.7-inch base. It doesn’t take too much space in the corner of your small bedroom.
- Elegant bladeless design
- Lightweight and easy to move around
- Good looking and quietest
- Simple to assemble out of the box
- Easy to place and control
- Easiest to clean
- Certified asthma and allergy-friendly
- 2-year warranty on parts and labor.
- You can’t run it without the fan going.
- No auto mode and Wi-Fi control to manipulate the settings that the TP02 and TP04 have.
Dyson Pure Cool TP01 is a 2-in-1 air purifier that purifies and circulates air all year round. It’s a unique machine combining the functions of an air purifier and a fan.
Did you know?
We spend an average of 90% of our time Indoors.
5. Medify MA-40 Air Purifier with H13 True HEPA Filter
Coverage: 840 sq ft (based on AHAM CADR 300)
If you weren’t already aware of this fact, Medify is the market leader in the electronic devices industry since 1891. This brand is well-known for both the quality and the lifespan of its devices. Therefore, it’s no surprise that why Medify MA-40 shows up in our top 6 list.
Medify MA-40 is one of the best air purifiers for bedroom and nurseries. Its performance rating is excellent. It’s even capable of capturing certain bacteria, such as H1N1.
One fantastic feature of this device is its professional-grade sensor. So, it’s highly effective in detecting even the slightest change in indoor air quality. Moreover, it can also auto-adjust the fan speed to maintain freshest, healthy air. Of course, it lets you visualize your indoor air-quality via color ring and numerical display.
When it comes to filter, this bad boy includes-
- Pre-filter-to trap for large particles
- Activated carbon filter– to remove various household odors and harmful VOCs.
- True HEPA filter– to capture and remove 99.97%, 0.3 micron size particle.
Other top features and their benefits:
- 3 powerful modes – to personalize and optimize your purification.
- General mode-detect the slightest change in indoor air and adjust the fan speed accordingly
- Allergen Mode- improve the ACH and fan speed
- Sleep mode with special Night sense function- automatically turns down the lights and fan speed when the room is dark
- Four manual settings including turbo speed– to offer more flexibility
- Noise level– Min. 18dba, as quiet as whisper
- Filter replacement alert– let you know that it’s time to change the filter
- Ideal for small to medium rooms
- Sleek design
- Professional-grade sensing performance
- Real-time air quality feedback
- AHAM & Energy Star certified
- No Smart Enabled Features
- Only one white color option
To ensure better air quality for your indoor environment, Medify MA-40 is an excellent air purifier. It’s not cheap, but it’s high-performing, highly effective, looks excellent, crazy quiet. Overall, it can be a great addition to your home. We suggest you get it as soon as possible.
6. Brondell O2+ Source Air Purifier – Best for Performance, Design and Quality
Coverage: 300 sq. ft
If you’re struggling to remove air pollutants and VOCs from your home without success, then you should consider this Brondell O2+ Source Air Purifier. It’s a strong air filtering system that traps various airborne pollutants to ensure your home or office air is safe and healthy.
It comes with a futuristic minimalist design. This compact and sleek unit integrates into any office or home décor. Of course, you have two color options- white and black- to choose from.
It’s undoubtedly an excellent choice for anyone who is looking for an easy to operate the device. Thanks to its simple, intuitive touch technology control panel.
Brondell O2+ source utilizes three-stage filtration mechanism to purify the air in your house or office.
- Washable mesh pre-filter– traps large airborne particles and helps to enhance the lifespan of the other two filters.
- Activated carbon filter– reduces smoke, odors, smoke, harmful VOCs to ensure that the indoor air is fresh and free from bad smell
- True HEPA filter– capable of capturing 99.997% of airborne particles and allergens.
Other State-of-the-Art Features includes-
- Color specific LED air quality indicator– enables you to know your indoor air quality. [Blue- excellent, Green- good, Purple- moderate, Red- poor]
- 4 operating modes– allow adjustability to accommodate your needs.
- Auto Mode– automatically adjusting to the room’s current air quality.
- Night Mode– senses the darkness of the room and automatically adjusts the fan speed to ensure interrupted sleep.
- Fan Speed Mode– lets you manually change between the 4-speed settings.
- Eco Mode– helps to save electricity and enhance the filter’s life.
- Filter change indicator– alerts you to replace the old filter
- Sleek, compact design
- Effective air purification
- Eco-friendly & Ozone free filtration
- Whisper-quiet operation at the lowest setting
- California ARB & Energy star-rated
- Three years limited warranty
- Poor performance for reducing kitchen smells
- Audible sound when running at the highest setting. However, the produced sound is not disturbing at all.
This minimalistic designed, feature-packed Brondell O2+ air purification system is easy to use, nice looking, and efficient air purifier. It offers superb air purifying performance with great design and quality. It’s fully adjustable and provides customizable settings for every member of your family. In a standard setting, it does a decent job and it’s smart enough to be set and forget. All in all, Brondell O2+ air purifier is the best bang for the buck.
Best Air Purifier for VOCs Buying Guide
Not all air purifiers can remove VOCs from indoor air.
So, before buying any air purifier for MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) or VOC removal, you need to know how to choose this type of device and what to consider when buying.
To get the best air purifier for VOCs elimination without wasting your hard-earned cash, you should look for these features in the product that you buy:
Activated carbon Filter is essential
When it comes to air purifier for VOCs removing, the activated carbon filter is the most crucial factor. In fact, the best air purifier for VOCs is one that includes an activated carbon filter.
This type of filter is capable of trapping and removing a high percentage of VOCs and odor faster than a HEPA filter can’t do. This is why the activated carbon filter is excellent for dealing with chemicals and VOCs and keeps your home free of these harmful contaminants.
If you need to remove a high percentage of VOCs faster, an air purifier with carbon filter is the right choice. But if you’re looking for a sustainable solution, consider air purifier with PECO technology. This technology isn’t only effective for removing volatile organic compounds but also for dust-mite, odor, pet dander, mold and bacteria.
Consider the Frequency of Filter Replacements
Some air purifiers require to replace filters every 6 to 12 months and some 1 to 3 months. That means the filter replacement cost will add up. So, initially you may consider a model as a great deal, but the filter replacement cost will make the unit pricey in the long run.
We highly recommend you to check the specs or product description for the frequency of filter replacements for the specific model.
Maximum Coverage Area Matters
It’s another essential factor you should take into consideration. Make sure the area coverage rating of the device is high enough to handle the room size that you placed it in. Measure your room first and check the maximum coverage area of the device so that the air purifier you want to buy can meet this size requirement.
Additional Features to Consider
- Child safety
- Energy star rating
- Filter life indicator
- Smart sensor
VOCs or Volatile Organic Compounds
Simply to say, these are organic chemical compounds that contain carbon. They are released as gases and vaporize at typical room temperature. In general, the warmer the ambient temperatures, the faster the process of VOCs release. There are more than 10,000 different compounds that can be classified as VOCs.
The process in which materials release VOCs is called off-gassing. The rate of off-gassing is the highest of new items. The material types and temperatures affect the off-gassing process.
Did you know?
Human nose can detect about one trillion odors/smells, which makes your sense of smell more powerful than people think.
Sources of VOCs
Many of our household items emit VOCs.
Household items such as mattresses, carpets, furniture are the common source of VOCs. Moreover, VOCs also release during activities like painting, cleaning or remodeling, decorating a home, and removing pests.
Common source of VOCs emission are:
- Cooking smoke
- Personal care products such as body wash, nail polisher
- Paints and paint-related products
- Aerosol sprays, air fresheners and scented materials
- Cleansers, detergent and disinfectants
- Fuels and automotive supplies
- The most common toxic volatile organic compounds found in the home items include formaldehyde (carpets), benzene (paint), and toluene (glue).
Health Effects of VOCs
If left untackled, VOCs could be harmful for your health.
But how bad?
Harmful VOC’s can cause a wide range of health problems in even the healthiest individual.
The exposure to some VOCs is extremely harmful to the human body. During High exposure over hours or days, the VOCs contaminants enter the lungs, bloodstream and body’s soft tissues. These potentially cause health problems. These symptoms include: nausea, headaches, dizziness, throat and skin irritation, and potential worsening of asthma symptoms.
During severe exposure, VOCs have long-term effects that may increase the risk of chronic health issues and severe diseases. They can lead to liver damage as well as problems with the nervous system and kidneys. They also lead to problems with allergies and asthma.
Older people and children are at more risk for symptoms from breathing in harmful VOCs.
What to Do First If You Experience High Levels of VOCs at Your Home
If you suspect that your indoor air has high levels of VOCs, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Identify the source of volatile organic compounds from your home or office air environment
Step 2: Remove the source of VOCs and leave the room until any off-gassing subsides. Leave the room ventilated and avoid entering the room until the VOC concentration has reduced.
Step 3: In case you can’t identify the VOCs source, increase the level of ventilation in the room. For example, open the window, or install a vent to allow fresh air to circulate in the room.
Step 4: If you have children and family members with asthma or suffers from chemical sensitivity, you should consider using an air purifier designed to eliminate VOCs from indoor air. Air purifiers for VOC removal are the effective and safer option.
Best Air Purifier for VOCs FAQs
What is micron, and why does it matter?
A micron is the unit of length used to determine the particle’s size.
1 micron = one-millionth of a meter.
There are various types and sizes of particles floating in the air at all times. The size of a particle determines how harmful it can be to human health. The relative sizes of some most common air particles are human hair 80 microns, pollen 20 microns, dust 5 microns, pet dander 3 microns, smoke 1 micron, bacteria 0.3 microns.
Do VOCs air purifiers harm indoor plants?
No, air purifiers do not harm indoor plants. In fact, indoor plants and air purifier work together to create the healthiest air possible in your home or office. There’s nothing in a VOCs or odor removal air purifier that can harm your indoor plants and vice versa.
What Is AHAM?
When going through the specifications of an air purifier, we’ll notice the CADR rating of the model. AHAM provides this industry-wide rating to ensure that consumers receive the best in quality, performance and safety. AHAM is the shortest form of Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers. It’s a national organization that provides quality standards for manufacturers throughout the USA.
Is ozone or electrostatic technology effective in removing VOCs?
No. Electrostatic air purifiers and Ozone generators are not effective at removing VOCs from the air.
Is HEPA filters efficient in removing VOCs?
HEPA filters can trap airborne particulates that are 0.3 microns or larger. VOCs are extremely small than what HEPA filters can trap. Moreover, chemicals particles and VOCs can’t stick to HEPA filters. Hence, this type of filter isn’t capable of dealing with VOCs. For this reason, HEPA filters can’t eliminate VOCs.
So, what’s the best VOC removal air purifier for you?
We hope you’ve found the BEST VOC air purifier for your home or office space on our shortlist. Also, the buying guide and all other related information were useful to you.
Finally, no matter which air purifier you choose from this list, you can rest assured that the harmful chemicals and VOCs inside your home will be significantly reduced or go away entirely leaving your space clean and healthy.
Pick the best air purifiers for VOCs removal to prevent the far-reaching health-related complications for you and your beloved ones!
Thanks for reading!