So, you like the outdoor recreational activity?
RV Travellers or guys who like camping most of the time face water-hardness problems. This is because of the mineral level in the water shifts from place to place. What’s more, finding soft and treated water on the go is also a tiresome task.
No worry! There’s a solution.
A portable RV water softener can be the best option for you. The best portable water softeners will help you to keep water quality at a standard level while you’re on the go.
But, finding the best one isn’t an easy task.
However, for you, we’ve done the hard part. We’ve narrow down on the 7 of the best rated portable water softeners.
Let’s discover them.
- Best RV Water Softener – Top Picks
- Best Portable Water Softener for RV in 2021 Reviews
- 1. On The Go Portable RV Water Softener OTG4 – BLSOFT – Best Overall
- 2. Premium Grade RV, Trailers, Boats, Mobile Car Washing by PRO+AQUA
- 3. Watts Water Technologies Flow-Pur RV-Pro M7002 – Best Affordable Water Softener
- 4. On The Go OTG4-VM-DBLSOFT – Best for Marine and RV Users
- 5. Mobile-Soft-Water MSW0918-M-16S-W-1-1
- 6. Clearsource Premium RV Water Filter System – Best for The Money
- 7. CR Spotless DI-120 Deionized Water System – Best Professional- Grade Performance
- What to Look for When Buying a Portable RV Water Softener
- RV Water Softeners FAQs:
Best RV Water Softener – Top Picks
In a hurry? Here’s a quick overview of all the Top Picks
- Editor’s Choice: On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable: A 16,000 grain double standard water softener that weighs 32 pounds, regenerates with 2 boxes of common table salt in 30 minutes, is portable, has a large mouth opening, high-grade premium resin, comes in a unique patent-pending design and with a back-flush adapter for quick reverse connection.
- Best Flow Rate: Pro + Aqua Premium Pro Portable RV Water Softener: This model is built with high-quality NSF materials, has a wide 10 3/8” base for stability, 5 GPM flow rate, 16,000-grain capacity that provides 2,000 gallons of soft water, regenerates in under 30 minutes and comes with a female adapter for backwash.
- Best Budget: Watts RV PRO-1000 OR M7002 10,000 grain: This unit boasts a built-in drain line flow restrictor for a more effective regeneration, high flow rates of up to 4 GPM, full cradle base that keeps the tank more secure, custom designed flow valves, weighs 9 pounds and uses common table salt to regenerate.
- Best Space-Saving: On the GO OTG4-VM-DBLSOFT 16,000: A double standard water softener with a flow rate of 3 GPM, provides up to 16,000 gallons, features a space-saving design, is travel-friendly, and comes with a back-flush adapter for marine models.
- 16,000 Grain Mobile Soft Water RV Portable Softener: A water softener made from NSF 61 Brass HSC, boasts a 16,000-grain capacity, treats up to 5 gallons per minute, has a premium tank head with a 2” salt port, comes with a 4ft. hose, test strips, and a ‘Y’ Valve and is best for both home and boat use.
Best Portable Water Softener for RV in 2021 Reviews
1. On The Go Portable RV Water Softener OTG4 – BLSOFT – Best Overall
- 16,000 Grain capacity
- Compatible with any RV/Marine model
- Compact, space-saver design
- Requires NO tools or electricity
If you’re looking for the best compact RV softener, then this option from On The Go may be the product you’re looking for.
In general, the compact, space-saver design makes it a great option to set up it even in the tightest places. You can easily store it in your dockside locker or storage bay. Additionally, the easy to carry handle on the top add to the convenience it offers
One of the convenient features of this bad boy is its cap & plug that prevent leakage during travel. Also, the regeneration process is incredibly quick and simple. These features make it an excellent choice for using while you’re on the go.
OTG4-DBLSOFT offers your amazing performance. It can produce twice the gallons compared to any standard model. Moreover, it’s ideal for working with RV/ Marine model which can soften 40% more water than any unit available.
This unit also comes packed with some fascinating features. Large mouth opening, 360-degree swivel, and a garden hose connection are some of them. It comes with high-grade premium resin too.
Overall, it’s one of the most travel-friendly options for any RV Traveller.
2. Premium Grade RV, Trailers, Boats, Mobile Car Washing by PRO+AQUA
- 16,000 Grain capacity
- Compact design
- Regenerate in minutes
- Certified frustration-free
Here’s an excellent Portable RV Water Softener from PRO+AQUA Joint Venture. It offers great versatility for using on different purposes. This unit is excellent for full-time RV resident, car washing and boats.
This water softener is one of the most efficient water softeners on the market today. This system provides you up to 2000 gallons of softened water between generations. And the difference in the water is awesome. Additionally, the regenerating process is very quick and easy. And you can do this in minutes by using rock salt or table salt.
Importantly, the unit comes with a compact design without compromising its large capacity. The 10- inch by 18- inch dimensions makes it easy to handle and store. Moreover, the top handle will offer you a steady and comfortable grip for carrying.
All in all, it’s a very capable water softener. Definitely, it’ll be an excellent buy for any RV traveller.
3. Watts Water Technologies Flow-Pur RV-Pro M7002 – Best Affordable Water Softener
- High flow rates up to 4 GPM
- Custom designed flow valve
- Built-in drain line flow restrictor
- Full cradle base
Looking for a user-friendly RV softener? Then this option from Watts Water Technologies won’t disappoint you. M7002 is one of the best competitively priced, user- friendly RV softener on the market today.
RV-PRO 10,000 softens water efficiently. And it also stops staining by eliminating magnesium, calcium, and iron from water. Thus, it helps to enhance the life of appliances. Additionally, it offers a high flow rate up to 4 GPM with a low-pressure drop.
Regeneration is a breeze with this unit. Its flow valves allow regeneration without having to connect or disconnect the system.
Another nice feature offered by this unit is the drain line flow restrictor (built-in). This feature provides an effective regeneration process increasing the capacity of up to 55%.
In regards to portability, the unit features a compact design. What’s more, the full cradle base that comes with the unit keeps it more secure than any open-base tank.
Finally, M7002 is one of the best low-cost water softeners that requires only pennies to operate. Of course, the low maintenance is a great advantage of this unit.
4. On The Go OTG4-VM-DBLSOFT – Best for Marine and RV Users
- 16,000-grain capacity
- Compact design
- NO tools or electricity
OTG4 is an amazing portable water softener for RV/ marine model. This system not only softens the hard water but also improves the taste and odor of the water.
Additionally, this water softener offers quick and easy regeneration. It regenerates with only one box of common table salt within 15 minutes. Also, it provides soft water for up to 20 days. The large mouth opening lets you add salt easily.
When it comes to design, this unit comes with an easy to carry handle. What’s more, the space-saver, compact design allows you to install it in the tightest spaces. This unit also comes with a full cradle base that offers you a very secure & stable setting.
The only downside of this model is its plastic made fittings, so these are somewhat weak and flimsy.
Overall, you’ll definitely be happy with the purchase.
5. Mobile-Soft-Water MSW0918-M-16S-W-1-1
- 16,000 Grain capacity
- High flow rates up to 5 GPM
- Sturdy nylon fittings
Here’s a top-rated portable water softener from Mobile-Soft-Water. It’s perfect for recreational vehicle use and car wash applications.
This total hardness removal system can condition efficiently both municipal and well water. It eliminates Lead, soluble iron, and magnesium. It also removes radium and other heavy metals found in water.
The system features a fiberglass reinforced plastic pressure vessel designed for high-pressure operation. Additionally, the unit comes loaded with ½ cu.ft high capacity water softening resin. Of course, it offers a high flow rate up to 5 GPM with a 10 grain.
Lastly, Mobile-Soft-Water Portable water softener is easy to use and easy to regenerate. You require no electricity to regenerate.
6. Clearsource Premium RV Water Filter System – Best for The Money
- Stainless steel fittings
- 5.0-micron sediment filter
- 0.5-micron carbon block filter
- Oversized filter canisters
- Power-coated metal chassis
- Tight-sealing buttress
Here’s another excellent portable RV Water Filter System. This time it’s Premium RV Water Filter System from Clearsource. You can use this unit practically anywhere you want.
This softener can soften water in different campgrounds. You must be impressed with its performance.
Firstly, the 5.0-micron sediment filter eliminates sediment at the first stage. Secondly, the carbon block filter eliminates volatile organic compounds and other contaminants. The result is super- quality softened water.
This unit features exclusive, rugged powder-coated metal chassis. This ensures its reliable performance for many years. Additionally, it comes with all stainless steel fittings. So, you can easily set up it between your water source and the fresh water connection on your RV.
To sum up, this Clearsource Premium RV water filter is well worth the investment.
7. CR Spotless DI-120 Deionized Water System – Best Professional- Grade Performance
- Works for All Vehicles
- Compact and portable system
- Comes with 20-inch cartridge
- Include a battery-operated TDS meter
- Cost-effective and affordable
Looking for an economical water softener to keep protected vehicle’s finish from the adverse effect of hard-water? Then, this unit from CR Spotless Water Systems can be the best choice.
Additionally, it allows you to work smarter and spend less time to achieve the same professional-grade results.
This deionizing system eliminates all the minerals found in water. Moreover, the softened water doesn’t leave any spots behind on the washed surface. Also, the system offers you spot-less rinsing on your house windows, motorcycle, boat, and RV.
DI-120 features a 20-inch cartridge that contains a mixed bed of de-ionized resin. The system produces 75 to 1000 gallons of deionized water. And for this, it requires only one cartridge depending on the quality of water.
One of the nice features of this system is it has an integrated stand that makes it portable. You can lift and carry the unit anywhere with only one hand. Moreover, it comes with a TDS meter to let you measure the quality of the water coming out of the unit.
The only shortcoming is that DI-120 is one of the more expensive options on this list. However, if you can afford it, we highly suggest that you invest in this RV water softener.
All in all, it’s one of the best low-cost water softeners available. Don’t hesitate to buy it.
What to Look for When Buying a Portable RV Water Softener
Decide on the right portable water softener systems is crucial. Firstly, it’s a huge investment on the go. Secondly, buying the wrong model will waste not only your money but also time.
However, before buying a model consider the following factors-
Types of Water Softener
Different types of water softeners are available on the market. Salt-free-, Ion-exchange -, electronic -, magnetic water system are some of them.
If you’re dealing with the salt issue, the salt-free option can be a perfect solution for you. But remember that this type of system only conditions and descales the water.
Size of The Unit
In general, portable water softeners are designed for outdoor uses- holiday camp or RV. A portable water softener system can constantly supply soft water up to 4 to 5 user. So, before making the final buying decision, consider the size of the unit.
Grain (Softener’s Capacity)
To figure out the required capacity for you, follow the calculation-
GPG value x water consumption in gallons
Based on your required capacity, choose the unit with the perfect grain. Avoid the softener with very low capacity as it may be fail to serve its purpose. On the other hand, a unit with too large capacity will waste your money.
RV Water Softeners FAQs:
1: What is the most effective and useful way to soften hard water in the RV?
The best way to soften the hard water in the RV is to utilize a portable RV softener.
2: Is the potassium chloride perfect as a substitute for salt used in the water softening system?
You can use potassium chloride instead of common table salt. The potassium salt is expensive and tends to melt when wet. Still, it’s a good alternative of common table salt for water softener.
3: How do I store a portable water softener system between camping trips?
- Drain the water out.
- Remove the filter cartridges and let them dry out.
- Store the filters and canisters in your home. The rest you can store in your camper.
4: What about the maintenance cost of a portable RV water softener?
The maintenance cost of an RV water softener depends on how easy it is to clean the collected sediments. If you prefer zero maintenance, go for salt free water softener. However, you can easily clean the salt-based unit with water softener resin cleaner.
Portable Water Softeners is one of the essential equipment for RV, camping.
However, only the best portable water softeners can make your outdoor life comfortable.
Consider the hardness of water, required capacity and your budget. And then buy the right unit that will meet your need.
All the listed units are top performers in their class in terms of performance, user-friendliness, and price. So, whichever you choose, you won’t go wrong with the buy.
Thanks for reading our best RV water softener reviews.