Planning to newly set up or simply upgrading the handle on your existing front door?
Looking for the best front door handleset that suits your place, home style and budget without compromising your home safety?
Then, you’ve landed in the right place.
When choosing the right front entry set, you’ll find a variety of options to choose from. While this might seem a little daunting, fortunately, it isn’t if you go through our in-depth front door handleset review.
We’ve critically researched and tested a lot of options available to find out what makes them special. And finally, we’ve shortlisted them to 6.
Check them out!
- Our Top Picks
- Best Front Door Handleset – To Enhance Your Home’s Personality and Security
- 1. Kwikset 98180-002 San Clemente Low Profile Front Door Handleset
- 2. Baldwin Spyglass Sectional Front Door Handleset
- 3. SCHLAGE Camelot FE285 CAM 716 ACC RH Front Entry Handle
- 4. Kwikset 96870-100 Belleview Single Cylinder Handleset
- 5. SCHLAGE Camelot FE285 CAM 619 ACC LH Front Entry left-handed
- 6. AmazonBasics ZIA54910
- What to Consider When Buying the Door Handlesets
Our Top Picks
For our busy readers, we’ve compiled the most important specs of 6 top entry door handlesets below.
- Best low profile: Kwikset 98180-002 San Clemente Low Profile: A low profile handleset suitable for exterior or front doors, has a secure lock that uses SmartKey Security mechanism, adjustable through-bolt screw, is easy to mount, and comes with a lifetime mechanical and finish warranty.
- Best build quality: Baldwin Spyglass Single Cylinder: This handleset boasts a solid construction, uses SmartKey re-key technology for safety, is keyed on one side, and comes in a satin nickel finish that brings a sense of luxury to your home.
- Best design: SCHLAGE Camelot FE285 CAM 716 ACC RH: A fancy handleset compatible with 1.625 – 1.75 inches thick right-handed doors, adjustable through-bolts, is easy to install, and has an aged bronze finish that adds an eye-catching contrast on light-colored doors.
- Best for residential security: Kwikset 96870-100 Belleview: An elegant handleset designed to use on an entry door, boasts an ANSI/BHMA certified single-cylinder deadbolt, SmartKey lock, gives one-key convenience, and comes in a unique hand-rubbed Venetian bronze finish.
- Best for left-handed persons: SCHLAGE Camelot FE285 CAM 619 ACC LH:This model is compatible with standard doors, adjustable through bolts, has an interior lever handle that offers convenience, and comes in 3 attractive finishes to choose from.
- Best Budget-friendly: AmazonBasics ZIA54910: This handleset includes an interior handle, exterior handle, and keyed entry, is compatible with both right and left-handed doors, fits all standard doors with 1 3/8”- 1 ¾” thickness, comes in a black matte finish, and is easy to install.
Best Front Door Handleset – To Enhance Your Home’s Personality and Security
Now take a closer look at our review for the six best front entry door handlesets on the market.
We’ve vigorously evaluated, tested and compare them to recommend you the most reliable one.
1. Kwikset 98180-002 San Clemente Low Profile Front Door Handleset
- Low profile contemporary design
- ANSI/BHMA Grade 1 certified deadbolt
- Universal handing-Fits both left and right-handed doors
- Adjustable through-bolt screw
- Smartkey Security re-key technology
- Lifetime mechanical and finish warranty
Looking for a low profile deadbolt for exterior and interior door for a modern look? Then, you might want to check out this front door handleset from Kwikset.
San Clemente low profile handleset is ideal for use on exterior or front doors where security and keyed entry is essential. The handle and door lock is extremely heavy duty and adds a unique look to your entry.
Let’s find out more.
50% Lower Profile
You can easily upgrade the front door to your home with this San Clemente handleset. It features a 50% lower profile than any standard deadbolts. The contemporary design adds a sleek and modern look to your home entrance.
Excellent locking mechanism
This heavy-duty handleset includes a commercial-style handle. Usefully, you can lock and unlock it by a key from the outside. Moreover, it allows you to unlock with a key/ turn piece from inside.
Class-leading deadbolt rigidity
The lock is very secure. It meets ANSI/BHMA Grade 1 standard for residential security rating. The SmartKey Security mechanism resists undetectable entry methods and forced entry techniques.
Adjustable through-bolt screw
This unique screw has a full range of motion. It slides horizontally and vertically to allows the handle to fit most existing door configurations. Thus, it ensures a straight handleset on your door.
Halifax interior lever
It includes a deadbolt and matching handleset with a modern interior lever. Usefully, the lever is reversible meaning it fits both right and left-handed doors.
Comes with everything
Kwikset 98180-002 comes equipped with handleset, deadbolt, latches, strikes, Smartkey tool, two keys, and lever. It also includes installation hardware for making installation hassle-free.
If you plan to invest more in a convenient and reliable lock system for your front or exterior door to ensure home security, we recommend this model. Above all, you’ll appreciate the aesthetic appeal of this handleset.
- Sleek, modern look
- Elegant design
- Lock picking and lock bumping preventive
- Easy door mounting and smooth to open
- Easily installation in minutes with just a screwdriver
- Compatible with Kwikset KW1 Keyway
- Inside and outside covers need to be leveled for proper installation
- Somewhat expensive than other similar locks by other manufacturers
2. Baldwin Spyglass Sectional Front Door Handleset
- Low profile door handle design
- SmartKey re-key security
- One-key convenience
- Universal handing: right- & left-handed
- Lifetime mechanical and finish warranty
Baldwin Spyglass handleset is the newest addition to its Prestige series. Baldwin Spyglass 91800-043 offers effortless style and luxury that brings the legendary excellence into your homes.
Superior quality and durability
The Solid Construction of this handleset provides a luxurious feel and higher quality. It’s stronger, heavier and smoother than any handleset of its class.
SmartKey re-key technology
With this innovative technology, Spyglass offers the ultimate convenience and safety. It allows you to re-key your lock in seconds whenever you need without replacing the entire lock. This flexibility of the Baldwin Spyglass handleset increases your home security.
Single cylinder security deadbolts
This square lock is a single cylinder deadbolt that is keyed on one side. It fits standard door preparations from 1-3/8″ to 1-3/4″ inches thick.
Satin nickel finish
A satin nickel finish brings a sense of luxury to your home. It makes an impact at first touch. The finish and clean lines complement a variety of house styles.
Comes with everything
This model includes deadbolt, interior lever, exterior handleset, full lip round strikes, and two keys. Installation Hardware is also included.
In summary, Baldwin Spyglass Sectional Entry Door Handleset is a high-end product. It instantly creates an atmosphere of confidence from the moment someone knocks on the door. Certainly, you’ll be very pleased with the looks and functionality of the hardware.
- Sleek, modern look
- Quality construction with a solid feel
- Re-key the lock yourself in seconds
- The lock and latch mechanism is somewhat sticky
3. SCHLAGE Camelot FE285 CAM 716 ACC RH Front Entry Handle
- Exterior grip and interior door lock
- Schlage adjustable through-bolts design
- Universal backset latch bolt
SCHLAGE Camelot FE285 CAM 716 ACC RH is an excellent quality entry handle. If you’d like something fancy for your entrance door, then this Camelot style handle from SCHLAGE could be the right choice for you.
It offers you the simplicity of an Exterior grip and interior door lock with a nice solid feel. Thanks to the detail on the handle and the aged bronze finish. You can install this right-handed handleset below your Schlage LiNK Deadbolt.
Fits any standard door
The handle is compatible with 1.625 inches to 1.75 inches thick right-handed any standard doors. Also, the universal backset latch bolt guaranteed to fit either 2 3/8 inch or 2 3/4 inch backset applications.
Schlage’s adjustable through-bolts
This feature makes this model adjustable to fit most existing door preps. The bottom bolt slides up and down for simple installation. You don’t need to drill additional holes in your door. It saves installation time.
Aged bronze finish
It brings a certain aesthetic to any entrance door. It looks great on dark doors enhancing the rich finish of the door. On the other hand, on light-colored doors, it adds eye-catching contrast. Of course, it comes with bright brass and satin nickel finish to match your home’s style.
All in all, SCHLAGE Camelot FE285 CAM 716 ACC RH is a Stylish and well-manufactured entry set. It’s a perfect product for the right price. Undoubtedly, you’ll be pleased with the appearance and operation.
- Very sturdy construction
- Super simple installation
- Very smooth operation
- No additional patching or drilling holes required
- No lock included and relies on a separate deadbolt lock.
4. Kwikset 96870-100 Belleview Single Cylinder Handleset
- Traditional arch single cylinder deadbolt
- Traditional cove interior knob
- SmartKey Security
- Venetian Bronze finish
- ANSI/BHMA Grade 3 certified Deadbolt
Next, this is another most trustworthy door handleset from the industry leader, Kwikset. This brand has become synonymous with innovation, security, and style.
When we consider the efficiency, reliability and ease of use, it’s undeniable that Kwikset 96870-100 Belleview deserves the title as the best exterior door handleset this year.
Let’s see some wow features of this model.
Traditional arch deadbolt and matching handleset with the conventional Cove interior knob will complement your house style. The beveled design adds elegance to its classic arched shape.
Highest residential security rating
Kwikset 96870-100 Belleview is for those who take their home security seriously. It’s designed to use on an entry door where security is needed. The single-cylinder deadbolt is ANSI/BHMA Grade 3 certified, meaning it’ll offer you reliable residential security.
SmartKey lock protects against common types of break-in methods. It’s bump proof, kick-in-, pick-, drill- and saw resistance. Thus, it helps to keep you and your family safe.
One Key Convenience
This thing has an amazing feature- SmartKey Security, which helps to eliminate to have a different key for each door.
Yes, it’s true!
The SmartKey Security of this model gives you one-key convenience. That means it allows all your doors and padlocks to share one key. Smartkey makes re-keying a breeze. Usefully, re-key is a DIY endeavor that means you can re-key it yourself in seconds.
Hand-rubbed unique finish
Additionally, the unique hand-rubbed venetian bronze finish reveals bronze highlights. It also provides a rich and warm complement to the product’s style.
To summarize, Kwikset 96870-100 Belleview is one of the best front entry door handleset for the money when comparing cost to its value. You can’t go wrong with this set for the price!
- Ensures superior security
- Durable construction
- Super easy installation & smooth operation
- Bump proof & kick-in-, pick-, drill- and saw resistant
- Protective against common break-in methods
- Simple to re-key the lock yourself
- Reasonable price
- Nothing to speak of
5. SCHLAGE Camelot FE285 CAM 619 ACC LH Front Entry left-handed
- Schlage patented design
- Fully adjustable through-bolts
- Universal backset latch bolt
- Security/ANSI Grade: ANSI Grade 2
SCHLAGE Camelot front entry handleset replaces virtually any existing lock. To enhance your entrance décor, you can use this left-handed handleset below your Schlage LiNK Deadbolt.
The Camelot Front Entry Handle is really looking good. This piece of equipment adds plenty of class and style to your entrance.
What about specific features?
Compatible with standard doors
This model easily fits on any door measuring 1 3/8 inches to 1 3/4 inches thick. The Universal backset latch bolt goes on either 2- 3/8 inch or 2- 3/4-inch backset applications.
Schlage patented design
It includes adjustable through bolts on handleset. That means you can slide up and down 1 1/2 inch (38millimeter) to fit a variety of pre-existing holes. This feature eliminates the need to patch or re-drill your door. Moreover, the screw posts align easily to guide moving screws into place.
Interior lever handle
It’s especially convenient when you’re trying to get out the door with your hands full. The outside button has a nice solid feel to it, and it operates smoothly.
Comes in Three attractive finishes
This model is available in three different finishes to match any home’s architectural style. Choose from Aged bronze, bright brass, satin nickel finish that you prefer.
Overall, SCHLAGE Camelot FE285 CAM 619 ACC LH is a nicely styled entry handle. It’s a good-old-fashioned and reliable option for the front-entry door. The well-built design and robust construction ensures years of uninterrupted operation. Undoubtedly, you’ll get a very good value for your money.
- Extremely durable
- Easy to assemble
- One-person installation
- Lifetime finish and mechanical guarantee
- Only compatible with a left-hand door
6. AmazonBasics ZIA54910
- Grade-3 rated security lock
- Universal handing
- Fits standard-sized doors
- 6-way adjustable latch
AmazonBasics ZIA54910 handleset comes with a nearly unbelievable price. To improve your home security, ZIA54910 is a budget-friendly yet attractive option for you.
Although it doesn’t come with a ton of impressive features, it’s the value buy. It’s one of the most economical choices.
Let’s dig deeper to find out the features!
Ideal for back entryways, front doors and more.
AmazonBasics ZIA54910 provides that extra level of security where you need it most. It includes an interior handle, exterior handle and keyed entry. It allows you locking and unlocking the door from within interior.
To keep your property safe and secure, the AmazonBasics handleset is excellent. The single-dead bolt provides reliable security to your home. ANSI/BHMA certifies the lock for Grade-3 Security.
AmazonBasics ZIA54910 is an all-in-one set. It comes with all the hardware necessary for an easy installation. A standard-size Phillips head screwdriver is enough to install it.
Fits standard-sized doors
This model fits all standard doors with 1-3/8″ to 1-3/4″ in thickness. The 6-way adjustable latch fits any 2-3/8″ or 2-3/4″ backset.
This handleset is compatible with both right- and left-handed doors, Thanks to universal handing.
Matte Black finish
The matte black finish brings aesthetic to any home or door. It’s perfect om any light-colored doors that add an eye-catching contrast. On the other hand, on dark doors, it increases the rich finish of the entry point of your home.
Match your home’s decor
This handleset is available in different finishes. You can choose from polished brass, oil bronze, satin nickel to match your home’s interior design.
In essence, if you’re looking for a value single cylinder handleset, AmazonBasics ZIA54910 is a good buy for you. The hardware feels average quality, but it does the job well for the price.
- Opens and closes smoothly
- Easy to follow installation instructions
- Easy installation with Phillips head screwdriver
- Available in a variety of finishes
- Not as heavy-duty as others.
What to Consider When Buying the Door Handlesets
Front entry door handleset focus on not only security but also convenience and appearance.
When it comes to finding the best Front door entry hardware handlesets, it’s all a lot to consider.
But keep reading our buying guide of best front door handleset below will help you choose the right one for your sweet home.
Choosing the best handleset for exterior entrances should be simple if you know what to look for.
In general, a front door handleset comprise the door’s opening and locking mechanism. Most handlesets include a thumb-opening bottom lock and an upper deadbolt lock.
Deadbolt offers the best security from home burglary for most entry doors. The deadbolt lock system is operated with a key from outside and a thumb turn from inside. If you’re planning to install an entrance door handleset that doesn’t already installed one, a deadbolt must come equipped with the set.
When shopping around a deadbolt, you have two options to choose from: single-cylinder and double cylinder.
Single cylinder deadbolt vs. double cylinder deadbolt
Single cylinder deadbolt: Single cylinder is the best deadbolt for residential use. You need a key on the outside to open. This type of deadbolt is safer for an emergency.
Double cylinder deadbolt: You require a key from both inside and outside the door to open. Although this feature makes it great for deterring intruders, it’s dangerous in an emergency.
Lock’s Grade rating (ANSI and BHMA ratings)
Door lock should carry a security rating set by the Builder Hardware Manufacturers Association (BHMA) or American National Standards Institute (ANSI). Grade rating indicates the performance of a given piece of hardware:
Locks carry a grade rating of 1, 2, or 3 based on its durability and its potential to withstand attempted forced entry.
Grade 1: It’s the highest locking security grade. Although, it’s ideal for industrial building, recent years Grade 1 locks are also used for residential use.
Grade 2: Most of the locks used for residential uses have a grade 2 rating. This rating is sufficient to deter most attempts at forceful entry. Hence, For residential purposes, a Grade 2 handleset is your best bet.
Grade 3: Although this rating is not as higher as a highly-rated lock, it still offers a measure of protection. This rating is perfect for an interior door.
Door knobs and Levers
A trim set features two parts: interior plate and exterior plate.
The interior plate is fixed to the inside, whereas the outer plate is attached to the outside of the door.
Some models let you replace the supplied interior lever with a lever or knob of your choice.
Also, it’s essential to check the handing of the door that means which way the door opens (left or right), If you are selecting a lever for the inside trim.
Handleset styles and finishes
The style of your front door greatly influences the type of front door handleset you settle on. Front door trim sets come as full length (full plate), sectional (two-piece), and monolithic (one piece).
Many finishes are available when it comes to buying a new piece of equipment. In general, they come with brass, polished silver, black, satin nickel and bronze finishes. Other variations involve oil-ribbed bronze, Polished Brass, Brushed Stainless Steel, distressed finishes.
* Although entry door handlesets come with a broad range of finishes and styles, when your home protection is concerned, prioritize the function of the trim set over form.
No matter the type of handleset, installation needs to be simple. Most residential trim sets fit the standard pre-drilled hole in an exterior door that makes installation a DIY-friendly endeavor.
In general, most of the models come with everything you need to install. You’ll simply need a screwdriver or a drill to install the set to your existing front door. If you can’t, it’s wise to call a locksmith.
A smart front door handleset can increase the security and value of your home. So, purchasing the right entry door handleset is important. It’s not only a significant financial investment, but also vital to the security of your home.
I Hope, you’ve found the best front door handleset that will match your place, lifestyle and budget and has the quality and functionality to keep your home safe.
No matter which one you pick from our shortlist, rest assure that it’ll complement the style of your sweet home.
Secure your home and give your front door a new look!